NYC HOLD Honest Open Logical Debate on math reform
A Consortium of Concerned Parents, Educators, Mathematicians and Scientists
1. My child(ren) attend _____ public school ______ private school
2. Is a “new-new” math program used in your child(ren’s) school(s)?
_____ Yes ______ No ______ I’m not sure
3. Check the “new-new” math program(s) used in your child(ren’s) school(s)
_____ TERC ____ Everyday Math (Chicago Math)
_____ CMP ____ Math in Context ____ Math Trailblazers
_____ ARISE ____ IMP ____ Mathscape
4. Are you satisfied with the “new-new” math programs?
_____ Yes ____ No ____ Somewhat ____ I’m not sure
If you answered No or Somewhat, what are your concerns?
Please check areas of concern:
_____ absence of textbook ______ level to which your child is challenged
_____ classroom activities ______ homework assignments
_____ extent of writing assignments, math journals
_____ basic skills mastery ( +, - , x , ¸ , fractions, decimals, algebra )
_____ classroom testing _____ preparation for standardized tests
5. Is your child being tutored in math? ___ Yes ___ No
By a private tutor or tutoring school? ___ Yes ___ No
I spend $________ per hour for _______ hours per week (per child)
By a parent/relative/student/unpaid tutor? ___ Yes ___ No
My child(ren) is/are tutored ___ hours per week (per child)
6. Does your child(ren’s) school allow supplementation of the new-new math program(s)? (eg old math textbooks, workbooks)
____ Yes _____ No _____ Don't Know
If you answered Yes, please specify supplemental materials used:
7. Have you considered taking your child(ren) out of his/her present school(s) because of concerns with the new-new math program(s)?
_______Yes ______ No
If you answered Yes, please check the options you’ve considered
_____ other public schools _____ private schools_____ moving out of NYC
Please use this space for further comments
Thank you very much for taking the time to complete this survey.